From Worker (or Union Worker) to Business Owner membership program was designed by the Chamber’s CEO, Brian Figeroux, Esq., a former Union Shop Steward, and current workers’ advocate to assist the many workers in New York City and beyond, who wish to start a business. Without the qualified worker force we have in the United States, the United States could not be the prosperous business nation it is today. Many workers have already made the successful transformation to business owner like myself, now the Chamber under our leadership and the respective Unions we hope to partner with, will work with you the Worker (or Union Worker), to become a successful Business Owner.
The first step in our From Worker (or Union Worker) to Business Owner mentorship program is becoming a member of the Chamber. Not a member, click here. Once you have become a member, please register for our Small Business Boot Camp and Social Media Boot Camp. After completion of these programs, schedule a free consultation under the Small Business Solutions Program; this is one of your annual membership benefits. At this free consultation, bring your business plan (no business plan, that’s ok) and your tax returns for three years (business and individual). Please prepare a list of questions that you will like answered at the consultation, those business questions can be business, legal, accounting and financial. If you have a business partner, please have that partner join you. If you have a pension plan and would like to fund your business through your pension plan, then read about ESOPs below. To schedule your free Small Business Solutions consultation, call 718-722-9217 and leave a message.
The Economic Power of Employee Ownership: Employee ownership keeps businesses and jobs in the state. Employee-owners were 4 times less likely to be laid off during the recent recession. Employees at ESOP companies have a 2.5 times greater retirement accounts. Employee ownership builds community wealth. Employees at employee-owned companies receive 5%-12% more in wages. Employee ownership improves business performance. Productivity improves by 4%-5% on average in the year if an ESOP is adopted. Over a 10-year period, ESOPs have 25% higher job growth than comparable companies without an ESOP. ESOP companies see average yearly post-ESOP improvement in Return on Assets of +2.7%. To schedule a consultation on funding your business, purchasing a business with the use of your pension plan, without or with limited tax consequences, call 718-722-9217 and leave a message.
- Chamber Membership ID
- Discount on Tax Returns (Annual Rate: $75 Individual)
- Free assistance with Citizenship Applications
- Free Consultations: Unlimited topics, legal, financial or business condition
Legal Letters and Phone Calls on Your Behalf
- Available at the discretion of Law Firm
- Up to 3 per year on your behalf (up to 2 per year for the same legal subject matter)
Legal Document Review (up to 10 pages each)
-Contracts/documents, up to 10 pages each
Standard Will Preparation
- Standard Will with yearly reviews/updates
- Available to cover family members at no additional charge
- Other documents available: Living Will and Health Care Proxy
- 10% off legal services: At Law Firm for legal situations that extend beyond plan coverage. The additional services are 10% off the Law Firm's standard hourly rate. You will be informed when the 10% discount is applicable and we will review these fees with you.
Special Discounted Rates for these Services (30% to 40% off market rate):
* Debt matters, including bankruptcy (amount in dispute must be over $500)
* Disputes with sellers of goods and services (amount in dispute must be over $500)
* Correction of inaccurate credit reports
* Billing disputes with utilities (gas, electric or phone)
* Landlord actions that could result in your eviction
* Entitlements from government agencies like Social Security and Food Stamps
* Uncontested divorces
* Buying or selling your one-family house, co-op or condominium if this is your primary residence
* Buying your two-family house if this is your primary residence
* Disputes over custody, visitation and paternity of children
* Representation where you are the parent in a child abuse, neglect or foster care case
* Orders of protection in cases of spouse abuse and other domestic violence (representation will not include cases brought in Criminal Court)
* Name Change
- The member
Tax Preparation Program
Tax Return preparation for the 2014 tax season for $75 (State & Federal) is now available for members at the Law Firm, for members of the From Worker (or Union Worker) to Business Owner Mentorship Program. During the tax preparation process, (optional) a financial analysis will be completed by the Law Firm, to determine the credit worthiness of the union member for business startup purposes. Participating in the tax program preparation program gives the member the opportunity to save money on tax preparation fees and learn how to fund a startup business.
How Does the Process Work?
* Compile all of your tax documents and bring them to the Law Firm.
* A Law Firm representative will review the information with you to determine which program works for your income level and if further information is needed.
* You are free to go! Your completed tax return will be available for your review and signature within 5 business days.
To expedite your visit, review the "What You Will Need to Bring" below prior to coming to the Law Firm. It has information regarding eligibility, items to bring with you, and several documents that must be completed before you can meet with a tax preparer. If possible, print and complete this form and bring it with you.
What You Will Need to Bring:
* Picture ID
* Copies of Social Security cards for yourself and all other individuals on your tax return (spouse and all dependents)
* Your most recent filed tax return or last tax return filed with the IRS
* All income documents including W-2s, 1099s and other tax documents
* Documentation of higher education expenses including tuition paid and student loan interest paid
* Daycare expenses and the daycare provider’s name, address and Tax ID number
* Documentation or a detailed listing to support itemized deductions if applicable. These items may include:
- Mortgage loan interest paid 1098s
- Charitable contributions
- Property taxes paid
*Note, in lieu of bringing individual receipts and statements, you can complete and provide an Itemized Deduction Detail Sheet.
To join the Chamber’s From Worker (or Union Worker) to Business Owner Mentorship Program, please click here.